Principles & Values
The purposes of Eufemia are:
- to establish a shared vocabulary and an open platform for designers and developers
- to ensure consistency and adherence to the look and feel of DNB digital products
- to provide guidelines for designers and developers
- to encourage re-use of code and design resources
You will find two sets of principles in the DNB Design System and one set of values.
- Design System principles: this is a set of principles for users of the Design System
- End user principles - the principles upon which we build DNB products and services for our users
- Brand values - located in the Brand Book (link)
Design System Principles (Eufemia Principles)
Don't add bloat to the system at the same time do not let the system develop debt - old content no longer relevant
The system and it's content should be self explanitory - easily picked up and understood by a new designer or developer, i.e not dependant on a single individual.
Add content to the system like it's your last day - add comments, clear succint descriptions to code and design files.
Eliminate this question : "I'm new here - where do I find the..."
The work is never done - A system of guides can and should be continuously improved.
Focus more on communication than the tools of the trade - common language and understanding, frequent discussions, including of all stakeholders...
Stay agnostic - code, data and design file formats should remain as platform and application(?) independent as possible.
Test Test Test - continually test the system with it's users to ensure it is relevant, usable and goal
End user Principles
Design for all - follow accessability and usability guidelines for everything you make
Start with users - gain insight, discover their needs, understand them
Understand context - when, how, where, with which device etc.
Maintain consistency both visually and through re-application of design patterns
Just enough interface. When in doubt, remove.
Design and code with performance highly prioritised
Consistent experience across all platforms - small touch screens to large desktop displays
Reuse, reduce and recycle. Harness the efficiency of reusing patterns and components
DNB Brand Values
DNB Brand values are located on page 6 of the DNB Brandbook. The values are built on these three foundations:
Curiosity, Responsibility, Bravery