Principles & Values
The purposes of Eufemia are:
- To establish a shared vocabulary and an open platform for designers and developers.
- To ensure consistency and adherence to the look and feel of DNB digital products.
- To provide principles and guidelines for designers and developers.
- To encourage re-use of code and design resources.
- To exist as a single source of truth.
You will find two sets of principles in the DNB Design System and one set of values.
- Design System principles: this is a set of principles for users of the Design System.
- End-user principles - the principles upon which we build DNB products and services for our users.
- Brand values - located in the Brand book.
Design System Principles (Eufemia Principles)
- Don't add bloat to the system at the same time do not let the system develop debt - old content is no longer relevant.
- The system and its content should be self-explanatory - easily picked up and understood by a new designer or developer, i.e not dependent on a single individual.
- Add content to the system like it's your last day - add comments, clear succinct descriptions to code and design files.
- Eliminate this question: "I'm new here - where do I find the...".
- The work is never done - A system of guides can and should be continuously improved.
- Focus more on communication than the tools of the trade - common language and understanding, frequent discussions, including of all stakeholders...
- Stay agnostic - code, data, and design file formats should remain as platform and application-independent as possible.
- Comply to the living system principles as well as the maintainability principles.
- Test Test Test - continually test the system with its users to ensure it is relevant, usable, and goal.
- Design for all - follow accessibility and usability guidelines for everything you make.
- Start with users - gain insight, discover their needs, understand them.
- Understand context - when, how, where, with which device, etc.
- Maintain consistency both visually and through the re-application of design extensions.
- Just enough interface. When in doubt, remove.
- Design and code with performance highly prioritized.
- Consistent experience across all platforms - small touch screens to large desktop displays.
- Reuse, reduce and recycle. Harness the efficiency of reusing extensions and components.
DNB Brand values
DNB Brand values are located on page 6 of the DNB Brand book. The values are built on these three foundations:
Curiosity, Responsibility, Bravery